How to Connect SAP Business Warehouse to SAP HANA Cloud
If your company currently uses SAP Business Warehouse and you would like to connect it as a source to SAP HANA Cloud, you can follow the steps in this tutorial to do so. This will then allow you to use your SAP BW system.
You can use the ABAP Adapter to extract the data from the SAP BW. In order to do so, you will need to install and configure the Data Provisioning agent. Before you start, make sure you have a running SAP HANA Cloud instance and an SAP BW on HANA or SAP BW/4HANA system.
Install the Data Provisioning Agent
Prerequisites: Before you begin installation, make sure you use the Administrator user or a user in the Administrators group.
The Data Provisioning Agent installation package is available in the component SAP HANA SDI (SAP HANA smart data integration) on the SAP Software Download Center.
On the SAP Software Download Center, the installation package is in the following location: SAP Software Download Center > Software Downloads > Installations & Upgrades > By Alphabetical Index (A-Z) > H > SAP HANA SDI > SAP HANA SDI 2.0 > Comprised Software Component Versions > HANA DP AGENT 2.0
- Select the latest release package and download it on your system and extract the zip file.
- Navigate to the directory where you extracted the software and open the file.
- Then right click on hdbsetup.exe and choose Run as administrator.
- Choose Install new SAP HANA Data Provisioning Agent and specify the installation path.
- Then specify the unique agent name that identifies the agent instance and must be different from any names already used by other agent instances on the same host system.
- Next, specify the username (<domain>\<username>) and password to use for the agent service. The user that runs the agent service must have read and write access to the installation directory so configuration files can be updated.
- To check if you agent is running, type Services on the windows search bar and select Run as Administrator.
Configure the Data Provisioning Agent : Connect to SAP HANA Cloud
Prerequisites: You have allowed the IP address of the agent host system in the SAP HANA Cloud instance. In addition to this, your HANA user must have the AGENT ADMIN system privilege for connecting to SAP HANA Cloud.
- Start the command prompt on your system and type the following command: set DPA_INSTANCE=C:\usr\sap\dataprovagent
- The command-line agent configuration tool requires the DPA_INSTANCE environment variable to be set to the installation root location.
- Then navigate to the <DPAgent_root>\bin folder.
- Start the command-line agent configuration tool by typing the following command: agentcli.bat –configAgent
- Select SAP HANA Connection.
- Next, select Connect to SAP HANA Cloud via JDBC and specify true to use an encrypted connection over JDBC.
- Then specify the host name and port for the SAP HANA Cloud instance.
- Specify the Agent Admin HANA User credentials for SAP HANA Cloud as prompted.
- If HTTPS traffic from your agent host is routed through a proxy, specify any required proxy information as prompted.
- Then enter the credentials for the HANA User for Agent Messaging. Also specify whether to create a new HANA User for Agent Messaging.
Register Data provisioning adapter with SAP HANA Cloud
Prerequisites: Your HANA user must have the ADAPTER ADMIN system privilege to register the ABAPAdapter with SAP HANA Cloud.
- Start the Data Provisioning Agent Configuration tool and connect to SAP HANA (as described in the previous step).
- Then go back and select Adapter Registration.
- Select Display adapter to view the list of available adapters. Then note the ABAP Adapter name and go back.
- Next select Register Adapter and type in the adapter name.
- The selected adapter has been registered with SAP HANA and can be selected when creating a remote source.
Connect to BW on HANA
- Launch the SAP HANA Database Explorer.
- Expand Catalog under your database and right click on Remote Sources.
- Select Add Remote Source and under Adapter Name select the ABAPAdapter that you registered above.
- Then enter the Application Server, Client and Instance number of your SAP BW on HANA or SAP BW/4HANA system.
- Click on Create.
Using this ABAP Adapter, you can now access data from SAP BW. You can also virtualize some of the data available in your BW system and use it directly from SAP HANA Cloud.
Would you like to try it for yourself? Then sign-up now for the SAP HANA Cloud trial and test this connection right away.