How to create your trial SAP HANA Cloud instance
Congratulations, you have started a trial of SAP HANA Cloud! Now that your global account, subaccount, and space are set up, it’s time to start provisioning your SAP HANA Cloud instance.
To get started with SAP HANA Cloud, you need to create your trial instance. Because you are using a trial account, you will only be able to create one instance with a predefined size. However, the process to create the instance is very similar to what you will see later if you choose to have a production instance of SAP HANA Cloud.
To create your first instance of HANA Cloud, you need to follow these steps:
- On the menu on the left side of the screen, click on SAP HANA Cloud.
- Click on Create Database.
- A new tab will open in which you will see the SAP HANA Cloud management tool. Follow the steps in the wizard by first inputting a username on the Instance Name field. Please note that you should not use any spaces in the name.
- You can insert a description of this instance on the Description field.
- Then insert a password in the Administrator Password field.
- Confirm it by typing it again on the Confirm Administrator Password field.
- Now the Step 2 button will appear on the left-hand side of the wizard. Click on it to continue.
- This is where, in a production environment, you would be able to scale your instance up or down. Because you are using a trial instance, you can’t change your configuration. So, click on Step 3 to continue.
- Now you can manage the allowed connections for your SAP HANA Cloud instance. That means choosing if you allow access to your HANA Cloud instance from outside of the SAP Cloud Platform. You can either limit it to SAP Cloud Platform by denying all IP addresses or allow specific applications to access it by inserting one or more specific IP addresses. Finally, you can allow all connections from all IP addresses.
- Next is where you can choose to enable the ScriptServer in a production environment. The trial instance standard size does not allow the ScriptServer to run. Click here to learn more about the ScriptServer.
- Click on Step 4 in the bottom left corner to continue or on Create Instance on the bottom right side of the screen.
- Now it’s time to choose if you want to enable the SAP HANA Data Lake. In a production environment, this is where you would be able to adjust how much Compute and Storage space it has. Let’s enable the data lake now. Please remember that you can enable or disable the data lake later as well if you prefer.
- Click on Create Instance and you are done! Your first SAP HANA Cloud instance will be created, and you can monitor its status to see when it will be ready to be used. This process usually takes a few minutes.
Starting and stopping your instance
The final step is learning how to stop and start your instance. Note that during your trial, your instance will be automatically stopped overnight, according to the server region time zone. That means you need to restart your instance before you start working with your trial every day.
- To stop an instance, just click on Stop in the three dots menu next to the SAP HANA Cloud instance line on the SAP HANA Cloud management tool. It takes a few minutes.
- Once your instance is stopped, the status on the top of the tile on SAP Cloud Platform and the status on the SAP HANA Cloud management tool will be updated. The option in the menu will change to Start.
- To restart the instance, simply click on the Start button. It takes a few minutes, but you can see the status of your instance to know more.
- Once it’s ready to be used, it will show the Created status on SAP Cloud Platform, and the Running status on the SAP HANA Cloud management tool.
Now you know how to set up an instance of SAP HANA Cloud using the SAP Cloud Platform Cockpit.