How to create your trial SAP HANA Cloud instance
Congratulations, you have started a trial of SAP HANA Cloud! Now that your global account, subaccount, and space are set up, it’s time to start provisioning your SAP HANA Cloud instance.
To get started with SAP HANA Cloud, you need to create your trial instance. Because you are using a trial account, you will only be able to create one instance with a predefined size, which you see now on the screen. However, the process to create the instance is very similar to what you will see later if you choose to have a production instance of SAP HANA Cloud.
To create your trial instance of SAP HANA Cloud, you need to follow these steps:
- On the menu on left-side of the screen, click on SAP HANA Cloud.
- Click on Create Instance.
- Follow the steps in the wizard by first inputting a username on the Name field.
- Then insert a Password and confirm it by typing it again.
- Finally, you can insert a description of this instance on the Description field.
- Click on Step 2 on the left-hand side of the wizard to continue.
- This is where, in a production environment, you would be able to scale your instance up or down. Because you are using a trial instance, you can’t change your configuration. So click on Step 3 to continue.
- Now it’s time to choose if you want to enable the SAP HANA Data Lake. In a production environment, this is where you would be able to adjust how much “compute” and “storage” space it has. Let’s enable the data lake now.
- Click on Step 4 to continue or on Create Instance on the bottom right side of the screen.
- On step 4, you can manage the allowed connections for your HANA Cloud instance. That means choosing if you allow access to your HANA Cloud instance from outside of the SAP Cloud Platform. You can either limit it to SAP Cloud Platform by denying all IP addresses, or allow specific applications to access it by inserting one or more specific IP addresses. Finally, you can allow all connections from all IP addresses. You should avoid doing that on a productive instance, but for trial it usually presents no problems.
- Click on Create Instance and you are done! You can see the status on the top right-hand corner of each tile.
- After the status changes to Running on the instance tile, your SAP HANA Cloud trial instance and data lake is ready to be used.
Starting and stopping your instance
The final step is learning how to stop and start your instance. Note that during your trial, your instance will be automatically stopped overnight, according to the server region time zone. That means you need to restart your instance before you start working with your trial every day.
- To stop an instance, just click on the Stop button at the bottom of the instance tile. It takes a few minutes.
- Once your instance is stopped, the status on the top of the tile will be updated and the button at the bottom will change to Start.
- To restart the instance, simply click on the Start button. It takes a few minutes, but you can see the status of your instance at the top.
- Once it’s ready to be used, it will show a green Running status.
- Adding Members to Global Accounts, Orgs, and Spaces
- User Permissions in SAP HANA Cloud
- Managing your SAP HANA Cloud instances